Each year we organise a friendly table-soccer tournament and a trophy was needed.
Our tournament is played on famous french Bonzini tables so I thought that having a big Bonzini player would make a really nice trophy.
I also wanted the trophy to represent our school logo by using the same color chart (orange and dark blue).

The first step was to scan a player.
I don't remember which process I used, but from what I can find back on my hard drives it seems that I used a Kinect and KScan3D.
Or at least I tried that for sure.
But looking back at the result I think I probably used the DAVID scanner instead. Or maybe photogrammetry. Honestly... I don't remember.

Here are the photos I found back :


And here is the raw mesh I obtained after the reconstruction process and a clean version after holes have been filled :

Raw scan
Clean scan

Most free photogrammetry softwares don't have any scaling feature so this has to be done within another software.
It's especially important if you want your mesh to be at 1:1 scale.
And that's why it's important to have a ruler in your photos (like mine).
I did the scaling process in Sketchup.

It can now be printed.
I made two versions of the mesh. One is way bigger than the original for the big trophy and another one is at 1:1 scale for smaller trophies.
The small trophies will be given to the winners (1st and 2nd place) while the big one will be used at each year tournament.
The names of the winners will also be engraved on a laser cutted base that holds the trophy.

The big trophy is made hollow to be filled later with plaster in order to make it heavier and allow it to better stand on its feet.
It's then cutted in two parts that are able to print on a Ultimaker2 Extended and also to be able to fill it with plaster.

Bottom hollow
Top hollow

After the feet has been filled with plaster, the two parts are glued back together.
I also printed the hexagonal screw separately in black material and glued it on the back of the player.

Screw head

Now it's time to give our trophy some colors.
The trophy was sanded and covered with several thin layers of epoxy resin to give it a nice and smooth aspect.
It was then painted by using light pink color for the skin, black color for the hairs and feet, and orange + blue colors for the clothes.
I've used Posca for the black color, regular paint apllied with a brush for the skin, and spray cans + masking tape for the clothes.

Painted with masking tape Painted
Painted Painted details

The face details where painted with Posca and the school logo sticker was cut with a vinyl cutter.


The base is made in such a way that the name of the winner can easily be changed each year.
It was laser cutted from 3mm MDF and the groove at the top for the feet is covered with black velvet to avoid scratches on the paint.

3D base
3D base

As I said at the beginning, a second small version was also printed 4 times at 1:1 scale.
Two of them were painted gold for the 1st place winners while the other ones were painted silver for the 2nd place participants.
They were then screwed on laser cutted and engraved acrylic sheets.

Gold (1st place) Silver (2nd place)

And the winners seemed to be very happy with their trophy!

Bonzini trophy Winners

This project was fun to do because it made use of many machines and techniques :

  • a 3D scanner
  • a 3D printer
  • a laser cutter
  • a vinyl cutter
  • smoothing
  • and painting techniques

It was my first big project with a 3D printer and the one that motivated me to do some more.
And I hope it will also give you the desire to print big things.